The Friends of the Gardens is a community-based, non-profit, charitable organization staffed by two seasonal gardeners, a community program director and consists of energetic members and volunteers. Formed in 1991 with a mandate to maintain, enhance and conserve the landscape features of the Summerland Ornamental Gardens, the Friends have been active for 25 years. We always welcome newcomers!
While Agriculture Canada owns the land and buildings, and provides a base level of maintenance and support for this historic garden, the Friends of the Garden Society is responsible for enhancing the garden experience, educating the public and promoting the gardens to the community. Friends of the Gardens was formed to fulfill the following objectives:
- Preserve, protect and enhance the Ornamental Gardens and increase public enjoyment
- Educate the public in ornamental horticulture and effective water use, by demonstrating the range of plants species and water requirements possible in the Okanagan area
- Cooperate with other horticultural related agencies, organizations and businesses, to test new and unfamiliar ornamental plants to expand the range of horticulture material available in the Okanagan area
- Promote and advertise to develop the gardens into a recognized tourist attraction
- Promote a broad community awareness and appreciation for the importance of ornamental horticulture, natural and man-made landscapes and heritage preservation in our communities
- Conduct fund-raising to support these objectives
Support The Friends by becoming a member or making a donation!